Pearl Onions with Creamed Peas
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Cooking time: About 20 minutes
Makes: 4 - 5 servings
- 8 - 10 oz. fresh pearl onions ( 1 1/2 inch diameter or smaller)
- 2 T. butter (or olive oil)
- 2 T. flour
- 2 cups frozen baby peas
- 2 cups milk
- Cooking in batches, cook onions in boiling water 2 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Cut off root end of each onion and squeeze the other end to pop out the onion.
- Melt butter at medium heat in a large skillet. Stir in flour and cook until flour turns light brown (5-7 minutes).
- While still stirring, slowly add milk and stir until the sauce starts to thicken (5 - 7 minutes).
- Add onions and peas and simmer 5 - 7 minutes, still stirring.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve while still hot.
Based on a recipe from the Internet
Serve in tacos or enchiladas with green onions, avocados, yogurt.
Up a Level Return to Home Page