Mung Beans and Rice (Indian Kitcheree)
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 45 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1/2 c. split mung beans
- 1/2 c. basmati rice
- 5 c. water
- 2 T. mild olive oil
- 4 c. chopped vegetables (carrots, broccoli, zucchini, celery, onions, etc.)
- 1 T. garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c. chopped yellow onion
- 1 t. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. turmeric
- 1/2 t. coriander powder
- 1/2 t. cardamom powder
- 1 t. Creole red chili powder
- Carefully discard any grit from beans and rice. Rinse several times until liquid is clear.
- Boil water, add beans and rice and simmer 20 minutes. Set aside, covered.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a wok. Add garlic, ginger, 1 cup onions and any tough vegetables, like carrots (if used). Saute 10 minutes.
- To the onions add turmeric, cumin, coriander, cardamon, pepper and chili powder. Heat and stir 5 minutes.
- Add cooked beans and rice and all other vegetables, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Let rest 10 minutes, covered and serve.
Serve each portion topped with a scoop of yogurt.
Up a Level Return to Home Page