Mexican Shrimp Stew with Avocado
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes: 3 - 4 servings
- 2 T. mild olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 1 T. chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1/2 t. chili powder
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 T. lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 8 - 12 oz. cooked, deveined shrimp
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 2 T. chopped cilantro leaves
- Thaw shrimp (if frozen) and remove tails and shell.
- Heat olive oil and simmer onions, carrots, celery, pepper, garlic, cumin and chili powder 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, bouillon, corn, water, lime juice and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add cooked shrimp and simmer 2 more minutes.
- Divide stew into 4 bowls. Top with avocado and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips or warm tortillas.
Up a Level Return to Home Page