Lentil, Tomato and Lime Soup
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Makes: 3 - 4 servings
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 t. turmeric
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1/2 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. minced ginger
- 1/2 t. creole red pepper seasoning (Tony Chachere's)
- 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils, thoroughly rinsed and cleaned (see note:)
- 2 T. lime juice (from 1 lime)
- Heat olive oil in pan and saute onions 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric, cumin, paprika, ginger and Creole seasoning and saute 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and liquid and 2 cups water. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Put tomato mixture into lentils and simmer 20 minutes.
- Use a potato masher to mash some of the cooked lentils. Add lime juice and serve.
NOTE: For a low-potassium diet, clean and soak lentils 6 - 12 hours in 2 c. water.
Drain, rinse until water is clear and soak in 2 c. fresh water another 6 hours. Drain.
Boil lentils 20 minutes in 4 cups water. Drain and add to simmering tomatoes.
This procedure is reported to reduce potassium level in 1 cup lentil from 1283 mg to 257mg.
A 1.5 cup serving of this low-potassium soup contains only about 270 mg. potassium.
Up a Level Return to Home Page