Flank Steak Florentine
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 1 hour
Makes: 3 - 4 servings
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 10 oz. package of frozen spinach
- 1/2 t. garlic salt
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup beef bouillon
- 1 T. flour
- 2 T. cold water
- Pound the flank steak until its area doubles.
- Spread the cream cheese on one side of steak.
- Squeeze the liquid out of the thawed spinach and spread it over the cream cheese.
- Tightly roll up the steak, with the spinach inside.
- Tie the rolled steak with string or secure with skewers.
- Place steak roll in a shallow baking pan and top with wine and bouillon.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F and bake steak roll uncovered for one hour.
- Remove from pan and let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put cold water and flour into a small lidded jar. Cover and shake vigorously.
- Heat roasting pan juices on stove, stir in flour/water mixture, and cook 5 minutes with stirring.
- Slice one-inch thick slabs from the meat roll and serve with this gravy over rice or mashed potatoes.
Based on a recipe from June Krantz, Boulder, CO and Singapore.
I tried this recipe with dry red wine, but the resulting pink gravy was strange.
Up a Level Return to Home Page