Ethiopian Yellow Pea Soup (Ethiopian Kik Alicha)
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 serving
- 8 oz. dry yellow split peas
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 5 cups water
- 1 t. turmeric powder
- 1 t. finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 t. salt
- 2 oz. plain Greek yogurt (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot and saute onion 15 minutes or until they brown, stirring frequently.
- Boil 4 cups of water. Add washed split peas and browned onions and simmer 1 hour.
- Add 1 more cup of water, turmeric, garlic, ginger and salt and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve in 4 portions topped with dollops of Greek yogurt.
To make a thicker version to serve on injera, leave out the 5th cup of water.
Based on recipes from the Internet and from a great sauce served by an Ethiopian friend.
Up a Level Return to Home Page