Chicken Gumbo Noodle Soup
Drying time: 3 days
Prep time: About 20 minutes
Cooking time: About 40 minutes
Makes: 2 - 3 servings
- 1 lb. okra pods
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 egg
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. flour
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 3 t. "Better than Bouillon" - chicken
- 3 c. water
- 1/2 lb. chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Wash okra. Remove stems. Slice lengthwise.
- Spread okra cut-side up on cookie sheet and dry at 90 - 130 deg. F for 3 days or until bone dry.
- Pulverize okra in food processor and add 1/2 cup flour to blend.
- Mix okra flour and beaten egg until a ball forms.
- Roll out ball on a floured cutting board until noodle-thin. Cut into noodles.
- Heat olive oil in sauce pan. Stir in 2 T. flour to make a roux.
- Cook on medium heat with constant stirring for 8 - 10 minutes until the roux turns medium brown.
- Add chopped celery, onion and pepper. Cook another 10 minutes while stirring.
- Add water and bouillon. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add noodles and chicken, and simmer 10 minutes. Add 10 - 20 drops of Tabasco sauce for more spice.
Adjust the spicy level to your taste with the Tabasco sauce.
Up a Level Return to Home Page