Carrot Ginger Soup
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cooking time: About 40 minutes
Makes: 3 - 4 servings
- 1 lb. carrots, washed and trimmed
- 2 cups water
- 4 t. fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 T. bouillon powder (or 2 bouillon cubes)
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T. flour
- 1 cup milk
- Split carrots in half and cut into 4 - 6 inch lengths.
- Put carrots in 2 1/2 quart pan, barely cover with water (about 2 cups) and simmer 30 minutes.
- Use immersion blender to puree carrots, cooking water, ginger and bouillon powder.
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in a 1 quart pan. Add flour and cook 5 minutes,
stirring frequently to make a butterscotch-colored roux.
- Add milk and cook 5 minutes with stirring to thicken.
- Add roux to carrot puree and blend.
- Serve hot or cold in bowls topped with a tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt and chopped cilantro.
Based on a recipe from June Krantz, June 2017.
Up a Level Return to Home Page