Beef Stew Dijon
Prep time: About 25 minutes
Cooking time: About 2.5 hours
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 T. butter
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 T. flour
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, in 1 - 2 " cubes
- 1 T. mild olive oil
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef bouillon
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 4 mushrooms, quartered
- Heat 2 T. butter in a wok or heavy skillet. Stir fry onions and shallots 10 minutes.
- Put onions in a bowl.
- Coat beef with a mixture of flour and black pepper. Shake off excess flour.
- Heat 1 T. butter and 1 T. olive oil in wok. Add beef and saute 10 minutes, turning to brown all sides.
- Remove beef. Deglaze wok with red wine and bouillon.
- Add mustard to wok, blend. Add onions and beef.
- Cover wok and simmer about 1 1/4 hours. Stir every 15 minutes to loosen crust from bottom of wok.
- Add carrots and simmer, covered for 45 minutes.
- Heat 1 T. butter in a skillet and brown mushrooms 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Add mushrooms to wok and simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve over cooked noodles.
Based on a recipe from Regina Schrambling of the New York Times
Up a Level Return to Home Page