Cooking time: About 30 minutes
Makes: 3 servings (as main course or 6 as first course)
- 2 lb. asparagus
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 t. thyme
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 leek
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 c. broth
- 3 c. water
- 1/3 c. potato buds (or 1 medium potato)
- 1 t. salt
- 1 T. lime (or lemon) juice.
- 6 oz. Greek yogurt
- 6 mint leaves
- Snap off tough end of asparagus stems.
- Boil water and broth. Add tough ends of asparagus, thyme and bay leaf and simmer 10 minutes.
- Filter out solids and save broth.
- Meanwhile chop white and light green parts of leek and saute 5 minutes in oil with shallot.
- Add potato buds (or chopped potato ) to leeks and saute 5 minutes.
- Cut tender ends of asparagus into 1-inch lengths.
- Add broth and tender asparagus ends and simmer 5 minutes.
- Strain out a few tender asparagus tips to save as garnish. Simmer 3 more minutes.
- Stir in lime (or lemon) juice, salt and pepper.
- Puree soup and serve in bowls, each topped with 1 oz. Greek yogurt, a tender asparagus tip and a mint leaf.
Based on a recipe from Kaiser Permanente, 3/12/19.
Up a Level Return to Home Page